I wanted to make a special post about my Dad because he has always been such a big part of my life. My sister and brother always commented that I was my Dad's favorite child....maybe I was! :) Supposedly I would fake an illness almost everyday and he would make me feel better by getting me candy at the gas station. Haha, that makes me smile thinking about that!
Today marks the 4th anniversary since he has passed away. I remember that day and even the week before his passing vividly. I have been looking at pictures of him and it just seems so weird to me that he is no longer with us. I still feel like he is around even though physically he is not.
I just love this picture (below) of my Dad. Cowboy hat, glasses, belt/buckle, wrist watch, and cell phone in pocket….this is how everyone knew him.
I just love this picture (below) of my Dad. Cowboy hat, glasses, belt/buckle, wrist watch, and cell phone in pocket….this is how everyone knew him.

This picture makes me smile! It looks like he is telling a nurse one of his many stories. If someone was willing to listen, he would talk to anyone…even if he didn't know them! He sure had a way of telling stories. I believe in this picture he was at the hospital getting an IV treating for his MS (Multiple Sclerosis). I was in the 7th or 8th grade when we found out he had MS.
Here is my Dad with his dog, Betsy. They both loved each other so much. After he passed away you could tell that Betsy could sense something was not right and would try to find him. I am so glad that my Dad has such a faithful friend in Betsy, she was always by his side.
He was one of the hardest workers I have ever met (Garth took after him too). He was always doing something, even if it was just 'puttering around' doing little jobs around the farm that needed work done. Because of his hard work and the trust/respect that others had for him I find myself using my maiden name sometimes (like at the tire center). Haha, that sounds bad but it seems like it gets me farther sometimes because I am Terry's daughter, everyone loved him so they'll help me out too! He is such a hero to me because even after he was diagnosed with MS and it was progressing so it was harder for him to move he still tried to do what he loved best, to farm! He didn't try to let the disease get the best of him. I hope to be just like that! What a wonderful example he was to me!!!
My Dad loved my Mom so much! They had such a great marriage and I will be so lucky if my marriage can be as great as theirs. They had so much fun going on yearly trips to Mexico or Hawaii. I'm glad they got to do fun things like that because they definitely needed a break from all of their hard work.
We got sealed together as a family in the temple for eternity on June 6, 2006. That is the same day that my niece Tara was born too. It's funny how everything turned out that year. My niece was born the day of the sealing and then Olivia and my twin nephews (Jacob and Jayden) were born on the same day too. We like to think that my Dad had some hand in this. Carri (my sister-in-law) and I were also pregnant last year at the same time and were going to have the babies on the same day too, but Alyson had her own agenda and came one day early. Again, very odd that this kept happening with our family! I know he is still watching over us and I can’t wait to see him again someday!
I love you Dad and miss you so much!
5 comments:
What a great tribute. Watching your parents pass has got to be tough. Thanks for bringing me those box tops. I'm sorry I didn't ask you in to stay for awhile but I had to leave at seven. I didn't think about it until after you left. Later I thought "oh man she probably think's I'm a jerk" sorry about that. We still haven't done the bows. What days are good for you? That is if your still okay to show us.
Your dad sounds like an amazing guy!
Heather, I'm in tears. What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man. He would be so proud of you and the strength that you have. You're more like him than you probably give yourself credit for. Thanks for sharing the pictures of Uncle Terry. I miss him too.
Dear Heather, Angie just sent me an email and told me of your wonderful tribute to your Dad. She also warned me that I should look at it in private because it would make me cry. That it did. What a sweet, sincere tribute to him. I know exactly what you mean when you give people your maiden name of Gnehm because I had a father who was well known and loved by all. I refer to that name any time I think someone may have known Dad or Terry because it makes them feel closer. You "arrived" here on earth at a very crucial time in his life when he was losing his own father. He clung to you, and the happiness you brought into his life helped fill the void left when his dad passed away. There is not a doubt in my mind that your dad and my dad & mom are so proud of you and Frank and all you have gone through. I also feel strongly that they have been there with you whenever they were allowed to be there to give you strength. I too miss Terry, but I know he is in a place where he is standing straight and tall without pain or discouragement. I love you dearly, "Aunt Carol"
Thanks for making me cry....It has prompted me to do a tribute to my Dad....He passed away when he was 41 at work. I miss him every day, but my second baby was born on the day he died 3 years later making it all better. I am so grateful for the Gospel.
Post a Comment