Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cardiology 18 Month Check-Up

On March 1st we went to SLC for Alyson's Dr. appointment. He is really happy with how she is doing and has no worries at this time. She is still oxygen free which is nice! Her oxygen levels were at 84% while we were there and they like her to stay around 75-85% so she's right on track. She is still on Amiodarone, Enalapril, Prevacid and aspirin therapy. These medications are basically for arrhythmia's, heart function and acid reflux. Her cardiologist left it up to her pediatrician to decide whether or not she should stay on the acid reflux medication. She hasn't had any issues so we will probably be taking her off of that soon and we'll be down to 3 medications.

During her cardiology appointment she was hooked to the EKG machine and it looked like she was having atrial flutters (some sort of arrhythmia) so they found an open spot for us to do a quick check with an echocardiogram. Alyson was being a trooper up to this point because she was getting tired of sitting on our laps and just wanted to run around. She just laid on the table with her little arms behind her head while the technician got some pictures of her heart quick. The Dr. said that her heart function looked normal but wanted Alyson to wear a 24-hour monitor just to be sure. It's been a week since I sent the monitor back to PCMC and I haven't heard anything so I'll take it that no news is good news.

Here is Alyson proudly sporting her monitor she had to wear. I think it stayed on better this time around then when she wore it when she was 2 months old.


Here is a picture of Alyson's hand against mine. She did just get out of the bath so she is a smidgen more blue in this picture but even with her oxygen levels at 84% you can definitely tell her skin tones are different that others.


I got this picture off of another friends blog. This is a conduit that they placed in her son's heart for his surgery. The surgeon gave them a piece of the tube so they took a picture of it next to a pen to compare. Since we never got anything fancy like this from our surgeon I'm assuming this is the same type of tube they used for Alyson's BT Shunt surgery. Either way...it's interesting to see what is used in surgeries!

4 comments:

Todd and Carol said...

Thanks for the update and the pictures. She is so dang cute!!

Az Kelms said...

I am glad that the check up was a good and positive one. That is awesome. She definitely has a smile that can warm over anyone.

triplej said...

Wow...she is amazing!

Sandra said...

That is great news. Did she keep that monitor on okay or did she try to take it off? I'm glad everything is well.