Thursday, July 22, 2010

It's Back!

Last week I noticed Alyson was getting a sore again so I took her into the pediatrician on July 13th. The Dr. said that there was no point in testing for MRSA because most likely that is what it was. She even had to use a little knife to lance the area to get it to drain so it could heal...poor girl! I had to help hold her down in that little torture session! :(

So because of all this, Alyson is now on 3 antibiotics to see if it will completely get rid of the MRSA this time around (last time she was only on 1 antibiotic). 2 of the medications are given orally and the other we have to swab in her nose...another torture session! I have to swab her nose twice a day and when I'm done she will look at me and say "Ouch, it hurts!" So sad!!! The Dr. also has Frank, Olivia and I swab our noses with this stuff too in case we might be carriers. Olivia likes getting it done I think because she reminds us each morning and night to put medicine in her nose. I think she feels left out sometimes when Alyson gets medication and she doesn't. I on the other hand can say it's not my favorite thing to do. It has a Vaseline texture...gross! The first time I put it in my nose I cringed a little and Olivia patted me on the head and said "It's okay Mommy, you're doing a good job."

I'll be honest, her getting MRSA again makes me a little nervous for her next open heart surgery. There is no way of knowing if this round of medications will completely get rid of it this time or not. Because of that I'm scared it will manifest itself again after the surgery when she is in recovery. But, just like my Mom tells me to do, I'm not going to worry or dwell on it until that moment happens. I'm just grateful we found it again so soon and got it treated.

And to end this post, there needs to be a picture! This was taken on my birthday back in May. This is why we shouldn't take the girls out to eat with us anymore! Haha! Alyson was sticking macaroni up her nose! :)

These were taken with my cell phone, sorry they are a little fuzzy!


1 comment:

Sandra said...

Poor girl. I hope this is the last of it, I can't believe she has it again. Heal quickly Alyson. The picture of the noodle up the nose it funny.