Monday, January 24, 2011

"Ouch Mommy! That Hurts!!!"

Alyson's index finger was infected over the weekend and it was bad/deep enough I took her to InstaCare to see if they would lance it to get it to drain. Her poor finger which is normally skinny was fat at the tip of it. So sad!

When we got to InstaCare, they had to check all of her vitals and when they got to checking her oxygen I instantly remembered to tell them “Her oxygen will be low, that's normal”. The girl sat there waiting for the number to go up higher I'm sure but I looked down and saw 79%. “Yep, that's normal”. She still seemed confused when she asked why it was so low and I responded that she had heart problems so she told me she was going to put in the chart that I told her it was okay that the oxygen was so low. When the Dr. came to the room, Alyson was out cold so he was able to look at her finger without her freaking out. The Dr. wouldn't lance her finger because they would have to cut it like a “fish mouth” around her finger to make sure all of the infection could drain out. He didn't want to put her in that kind of pain if it wasn't necessary yet so he put her on an antibiotic. I tried to talk him into just lancing just the one area instead of cutting around and it was a no go.

Her finger was still swollen last night and blue looking so I took her into the Dr. this morning. They are doing a culture but most likely the antibiotic will have made it so nothing will show up so we won’t know what type of infection it was. When we were leaving, Alyson said “Ouch Mommy that hurt me!” That broke my heart to hear her say that. That is one reason I am not looking forward to Aly's next surgery because she will be able to verbalize to me the pain she is in and I won’t be able to do anything to take it away or help her.

We'll just keep giving her the antibiotics and put her hand in warm water a few times a day to get it to heal up. She really is my little trooper. Even after she is tortured with her finger, she will say “Thank you Mommy” (or say thank you to the nurse) as a bandaid is being put on her finger.

2 comments:

The Jensens said...

Awww what a sweet little girl!

Sandra said...

What a sweetheart. Poor girl, I hope it gets feeling better fast.