Sunday, January 9, 2011

O2 and Weight Check-Up

Last Friday (1/7) Frank mentioned that Alyson was looking a little more blue than usual the last couple of days. I had noticed it too, but didn't bring it up because she still looked like she was in her "normal" range of 75-85% for oxygen. I wasn't worried but decided to get her into the pediatrician anyway so I could see exactly where her oxygen was at. My best guess was high 70's but I wanted to see for sure where she was at since it appeared she was on the descend now.

(Picture taken the day of the appointment)

When we got to the Dr.'s office, Olivia informed me that she was going to tell the Dr. that Alyson was going to be okay. She did just that when the CNA came in to get Alyson's weight and oxygen levels. Too funny!!! She is very protective of Alyson which I love!

Alyson's oxygen levels turned out to be fine. Better than fine actually. Her oxygen range was between 83-85% on the monitor the entire time she was on it. Back in September for her cardiology appointment, she was at 81%. I'm thinking now the reason she was looking more blue lately is maybe my house might be too cool for her? Our floors do get cold and she refuses to wear socks and remain barefoot all day long. If she gets even a little cold, her lips turn pretty blue and her skin looks dusky.


Alyson now weighs 24 pounds 8 ounces. She has gained a little over 2 pounds since August which I am thrilled out. Only 5ish more pounds to go to her 30 pound goal weight for surgery! Because I have habit (which is a terrible one to have) to worry and analyze things, I had the nurse practitioner listen to Aly's lungs to make sure she sounded clear. I did this to make sure that her weight gain really was true weight gain, not fluid retention. The nurse said her lungs sounded very clear and she had no signs in her legs or arms of edema. One less thing to worry/analyze about...phew! :)

One thing I found interesting during the appointment is when I was telling the nurse practitioner about Alyson's history. She is new in the office so she just wanted a briefing on what heart defect she has. I said "Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome" and the nurse looked a little shocked and she said "Oh really!?" She was expecting me to say Hypoplastic LEFT Heart Syndrome because that is more commonly seen than what Alyson has. I have had a couple of nurses at PCMC tell me that too...that they don't see HRHS very often. I myself, have only found 1 blog when I was pregnant with Alyson where the baby was going to be born with HRHS. He was born 2 months before she was and I have been in contact with the mom a few times.

I'm extremely thankful that Alyson is doing so good. Every day I thank Heavenly Father for the health and strength she has. I sometimes wonder why we were chosen to go through this trial, and why SHE has to go through this trial herself too. I may never know all the reasons, but I'm grateful we were chosen and entrusted to be this sweet little girl's parents.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

She is a doll! I'm glad everything is well and she is healthy. You guys are special parents to be entrusted with such angels!

ashley.rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.