Monday, November 10, 2008

2 Months Old!!!

Well...we survived the first week of Alyson being home!!! She sure is a lot of work (but well worth it)! Olivia sure does love having her little sister at home. I wasn't sure how she was going to do when Alyson came into her territory (and wasn't leaving) but she seems to enjoy having her around a lot. Every morning when I go and get Olivia out of bed she will say 'Alyson....Alyson' and then run into our room to go and find her. She is so fascinated by her little sister and loves playing with her....a little too much sometimes. Alyson seems to be very interested in her too and was smiling at Olivia on Sunday.

This past week we had a few adventures while trying to adjust to everything and having our whole family under one roof. We ran out of a medication (Alyson's drug addict medicine!) that we are supposed to slowly ween her off of so she doesn't get withdrawals (because she was on pain meds for so long). I began to worry as I called around town to see if anyone carried this medicine in liquid form thinking I would have to drive to SLC yet again just to go and get her medication (oh well...she's worth it!). A nurse at PCMC called the hospital here in town and found out that they had some there but they needed a written prescription since it is a narcotic and since PCMC was the one that wrote the prescription that was the place I had to get the written order from. AGH!!! The nurse was able to talk the pharmacist into filling the prescription over the phone and said she would mail in the written prescription because we needed to give Alyson the medicine and didn't want me to have to drive to SLC again. I am so grateful for that pharmacist because that saved us a lot of time and hassle from having to make a drive to get her medicine.

Saturday I accidentally pulled out Alyson's feeding tube (just the start to my hectic day). I called the home health agency to come and put a new one in since I didn't have any on hand to do it myself. When the nurse got there she brought a tube that was almost twice the size from what she originally had (both in length and width). When she was getting ready to put in the feeding tube she was using phrases like 'I think' and 'they told me'. Well, she put in the feeding tube successfully but when she was done Frank asked her if she had ever done this before as it became apparent to us that she hadn't. She said "nope, this was my first one." I could have DIED...good thing putting a feeding tube in isn't rocket science.

Today Alyson's nurse came by to assess her to see how she is doing. Alyson is still 9lbs. 0oz. but is still doing pretty good. It may take her some time to start packing on the pounds (or ounces I should say) just because her heart has to work so much harder but I know she will eventually start to catch up to where her Dr.'s would like her to be. They would like her to be bigger when she has her next surgery in the next few months. The bigger the better! Too bad that's not true for adults! :)

Alyson's nose got a 2 hour break...thanks to mom!!!


Alyson always clutches both of her hands in the 'got your nose' position!


Can you tell she is getting tired/annoyed of posing???


Finally...the smile I was trying to get!


Olivia loves her little sister!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you have cute little girls! It was fun to visit last week and to meet little Alyson -- Finally!

Az Kelms said...

I am getting excited to meet little Alyson. It is coming up! It is so fun that she is smiling and starting to interact with the world now.

RoBiN said...

Alyson is such a beautiful gir! I love her "Material Girl" bib! You can tell Olivia is proud of her little sis!