I missed Olivia last week when I was in SLC for Alyson's surgery and I was really happy to see her when I picked her up last Friday afternoon. She was so excited to see me and then asked for 'Grandma' (my mom) to come get her instead. I guess if I am going to be replaced she picked a good replacement! I am so happy that she has been a good girl for my mom. She behaves better for others more than she is for us.....go figure!
In just the few days I was away I swear her pronunciation of words got more clear. She even looked more grown up.....not different, just more like a little girl. It kind of reminds me of when I left Olivia (who was my 'baby' at that time) for 2+ weeks to be with Alyson in SLC when she was born and came home to a little girl. She is such a sponge and she learns so much. She knows the letters to the alphabet pretty good now and I was shocked the other day when she started to spell out her name that we have on her bedroom wall!!! Even more shocking is when she sneezed and said 'bless you'.....something she must have picked up from daycare! She also picks out Jesus in all the pictures that she sees of him without us even telling her.
She makes us laugh every day (and can make us a little angry every day too)!!! Here are a few examples of things that probably made us mad and now we think it's funny.
- Yesterday Frank ended up falling asleep on the couch for a little bit and she thought coloring in her book was too boring....so she decided to color on our TV instead. Again, it was pretty funny hearing about it but I am sure if I was there I would have been a little angry about it too.
- There are a few nights that she doesn't want to go to sleep and screams so I ask her if she wants to go to time-out. She says she does and then runs to the corner in her room. When she wants to leave time-out I ask her if she is ready to go to bed then and she says 'no, time-out' and runs back to the corner! Funny now but not when it is happening at 11:00pm! :o)
- Bribery goes a long way with her too. Probably not a good thing to do but we find it helpful to get her to wear certain clothes. If we pull out something that she doesn't want to wear she will scream and fight us until we offer her a treat. She will then agree to put on the shirt and ask us for a treat immediately. If we forget to give her a treat or took too long getting it she takes it upon herself to go get one. One day she went and got a box of chocolates off the kitchen counter and helped herself to a piece of chocolate. The other day we did dress her in something she wanted to wear and liked (usually purple or pink) and asked for a treat.....whoops! It's not fun having to listen to her screaming some mornings to get dressed but it sure makes a good memory.
She is starting to be a big tease. While she has been staying with my mom, Olivia will go up to her and say 'MMMM' like she ate something so yummy. My mom will ask her to open her mouth to see what is in there so Olivia opened up her mouth wide and started to laugh...with nothing in her mouth! She did that several times pretending she has something but she really didn't.....how funny!!!
She really is a great addition to our family and I can't imagine life without her. She loves her little sister so much. When I picked her up from daycare she was looking for Alyson in our car and then when we got home she started to look for Alyson again. She obviously doesn't realize what is going on but in a couple of years when we have to do this all over again with Alyson I think she will. I think Olivia and Alyson will be really good friends growing up.....even when they become bickering teenagers. Poor Frank with all the female hormones he will have to deal with (poor me too)!!! :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment